Household Tasks for Summer
· Use a dehumidifier to maintain relative humidity below 60 per cent in basements.
· Clean or replace air-conditioning filter.
· Check exposed pipes in basement for condensation and, if necessary, reduce humidity and/or insulate cold water pipes.
· Clean bathroom fan with vacuum (every season)
· Vacuum lint from dryer duct and areas around your dryer, and dryer vent hood outside.
· Check security of all guardrails and handrails.
· Lubricate any slide windows that are not functioning smoothly.
· Inspect window putty on outside of glass panes of older houses, and replace if needed.
· Sand and touch up paint on wood windows and doors frames.
· Lubricate door hinges, and tighten screws as needed.
· Check for and replace damaged caulking and weather-stripping around mechanical and electrical services, windows and doorways, including the doorway between the garage and the house.
· Lubricate garage door hardware, and ensure it is operating properly.
· Lubricate automatic garage door opener motor, chain and other moving parts, and ensure that the auto-reverse mechanism is properly adjusted.
· Inspect electrical service lines for secure attachment where they enter your house, and make sure there is no water leakage into the house along the electrical conduit.
· Check exterior wood siding and trim for signs of deterioration; clean, replace or refinish as needed.
· Remove any plants and roots that contact/penetrate the siding or brick.
· From the ground, check the general condition of the roof and note any sagging that could indicate structural problems requiring further investigation from inside the attic. Note the condition of shingles for possible repair or replacement, and examine roof flashings, such as at chimney and roof joints, for any signs of cracking or leakage.
· Repair/black-coat driveway and walkways as needed.